Identifying The Signs Of Water Damage
Water damage cleanup is a typical service needed in homes here in Morgantown because water damage can be caused by a variety of factors, such as leaks, floods, and storms, just to name a few. When water damage cleanup is not performed quickly, it can lead to mold growth, structural damage, and health problems. Therefore, it is essential to be able to identify the signs of water damage in your home as early as possible to prevent any further problems.
Water Damage Cleanup Morgantown
Let’s go over how to identify the signs of water damage in your home in detail so you can be sure to catch it and begin water damage cleanup more efficiently.
- Discoloration: One of the most obvious implications of water damage is discoloration on walls, ceilings, or floors. Water stains usually appear as yellow or brown spots on walls and ceilings. They may also appear as dark spots on carpets or wooden floors. Discoloration indicates that water has penetrated the surface of a material, and the area needs to be inspected for the source of the water.
- Musty Odor: Water damage can cause a musty odor in your home. The odor is the result of mold growth, which thrives in damp environments. If you notice a musty smell in your home, there is moisture present, creating dampness that feeds microbial growth. Have the area inspected correctly to identify the problem’s source.
- Peeling Paint Or Wallpaper: Water damage can cause paint to peel or wallpaper to bubble up. This occurs when water seeps through the surface of the wall and separates the paint or the wallpaper from the wall. If you notice peeling paint or wallpaper in your home, it is a sign of water damage, and the source of the water needs to be stopped.
- Warped Or Buckled Flooring: Water damage can cause the flooring to warp or buckle. This occurs when water seeps through the floor and causes the wood to expand. If you notice any warped or buckled flooring in your home, it is a sure sign of water damage.
- Cracked Or Sagging Ceiling: Water damage can cause ceilings to crack or sag under the weight of the excess moisture. This occurs when water seeps through the ceiling, is absorbed by the drywall, and then causes the drywall to weaken. If you notice any cracks or sagging in your ceiling, you need to have it checked for water damage. Keep in mind that sagging ceilings often have pools of water above them, the weight of which is causing the sagging to occur, so in order to prevent any further water damage, you should call in a professional to inspect it.
- Mold Growth: Lastly, mold growth clearly indicates water damage. As mentioned before, mold thrives in damp environments and can cause health problems if left untreated. If you notice any mold growth in your home, you need to identify the source of the problem before you can address the mold itself. Again, this is best left to the professionals, as mold can be harmful to your health.
Identifying the signs of water damage in your Morgantown home is essential to prevent further damage and immediately begin water damage cleanup. If you notice any of these signs in your home, call us at Crossroads Property Rescue.