Reasons You May Need Fire Damage Restoration

Fire Damage Restoration – Morgantown

fire damage restoration MorgantownIn your Morgantown home, you can never be too prepared for a possible fire. There are many different reasons house fires could start, leaving you in need of fire damage restoration. It is important to know the most common causes of house fires and how you can take precautions, so here are some of the most common causes.


One common reason house fires occur is carelessness, resulting in unintentional fires caused by negligence. Being careless with potential fire hazards can lead to disastrous consequences. Examples of careless actions include leaving burning candles unattended, placing heating devices near combustible items, failing to fully extinguish cigarettes, being careless in the kitchen, not storing matches and lighters in safe areas out of reach, and neglecting to turn off gas tanks when they are no longer in use.


Heating devices rank as the second most common cause of house fires. If space heaters are left unattended in rooms or placed too close to flammable objects, fires can start rapidly. To prevent fires, ensure that space heaters are at a safe distance from other objects, and remember to turn them off when you leave the room. Additionally, it is crucial to keep wood stoves and chimneys clean and properly maintained to avoid potential fire hazards caused by obstructions and buildup.

Electrical Malfunction

Electrical malfunctions, such as frayed wires, damaged cords, and overloading outlets, can lead to fires. It is essential to replace damaged and exposed wiring before use. Avoid over-plugging outlets, as excessive currents running through a single outlet or extension cord can cause overheating, sparking, and potentially start a fire. If you have multiple cords requiring power in one area, like the TV entertainment center, consider using a surge protector to prevent current overload. If cords feel hot after being plugged in for an extended period, unplug them and allow them to cool down before further use.


Cooking remains a significant cause of house fires, responsible for half of all incidents, according to the U.S. Fire Administration. The kitchen, with its many flammable objects and high cooking temperatures, is the most common place for fires to originate. To be proactive about fire safety in the kitchen, it is crucial never to leave cooking food unattended. Additionally, keep cooking equipment and appliances clean, as built-up residue on stovetops, ovens, and microwaves can be highly flammable. Another preventive measure is to ensure that flammable objects are kept away from the stove and other heat sources. Practicing caution while cooking and having a fire extinguisher nearby is also advisable.

Remember that even when following every precaution, the risk of a house fire cannot be completely eliminated. For this reason, it is important to be vigilant and active in fire damage prevention measures. If you find yourself dealing with a house fire and need fire damage restoration, Crossroads Property Rescue is here to help. We understand the overwhelming and traumatic nature of fires, and we are dedicated to restoring your home as quickly as possible, as well as providing the necessary education to be better prepared to respond to fire damage. Fire damage restoration is a process that can be difficult to understand, so please contact us with any questions or concerns.

Contact Us

For immediate service 24/7, call us at 304-594-3222.